Seven Stress Management Keys
When everything seems to overwhelm us, we can resort to these stress management tips that can help us cope. Discover them here!
Although managing daily stress seems like a modern type of ‘battle’, the truth is that it’s one of our oldest defensive instincts. However, the defense mechanisms our ancestors resorted to against the dangers of the world (overactivity and stress), currently make us weak and sick.
That’s why the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) in the United States has developed a series of stress management keys that can help calm the mind. In particular, we can use these keys whenever we feel like something is overwhelming us or threatening to do so.
The stress of the current world
The world we live in changes very fast and creates new situations. Therefore, it’s not uncommon for us to blame others for putting pressure on our lives. However, on many occasions, we’re the ones to blame for taking on more than we can. This can lead to feeling crushed by the high expectations we set for ourselves.
In other words, we want to be perfect at everything and this increases our daily stress. Thus, we might need to resort to some stress management tips that can help us cope.
When we just can’t deal anymore, our body starts to activate its self-defense tools, which can end up worsening the problem. How many times have we tried to work faster in order to try to lower our stress levels?
When we overwork ourselves day after day, not even resting will help. Little by little, we can start to feel like we can no longer cope. This can lead to worry, anxiety, fear, and excessive tensions. Consequently, since stress isn’t able to keep everything under control, physical and psychological problems arise.
“It’s a good idea always to do something relaxing prior to making an important decision in your life.”
Stress management keys
When everything seems to overwhelm us, we can resort to stress management keys such as:
- Exercise: A healthy way to manage daily stress is to play sports. When we exercise, we don’t stress out and we also release endorphins.
- Eat healthily: Junk food is one of the worst ways to manage daily stress. If you’re hungry, eat fruit and vegetables. A natural and balanced diet with five well-distributed daily meals leads to well-being.
- Sleep well: If we sleep well, our mind will be clearer and more alert to face daily challenges.
- Meditation: This relaxation technique, like other similar ones, may help lower our stress levels. Namely, it’s based on deep and conscious breathing to help us release tension.
- Self-control: We must be aware that we can’t control everything. If we’re aware that there are many things that are out of our hands, we’ll have more control over ourselves.
- It’s better to face one problem at a time: You have to solve problems one at a time, starting with the smallest ones. We need to look for solutions and, once we solve one situation, go on to the next one.
- Realism: Without a doubt, being realistic is a great way to manage daily stress. The more we know ourselves, the more aware we’ll be of our capabilities and limitations.
“Much of the stress that people feel doesn’t come from having too much to do. It comes from not finishing what they’ve started.”
Learn to manage daily stress
There are many extraordinary situations that, combined with daily stress, can aggravate what was already a problem. For example, losing your job, getting a divorce, or moving to a different city. In those cases, these tips may also help you.
If these strategies don’t yield results or reduce your stress levels, it’s best to consult a psychologist. Your health is at stake.