Lizzie Velásquez: A Beautiful Woman
Despite being a victim to incessant bullying, the protagonist of this article, Lizzie Velasquez, drew strength and keep moving forward. She is currently one of the most well-known motivational speakers.
“The most beautiful people I have ever met are those who have known defeat, suffering, struggle, loss, and have found a way out of the depths. These people have an appreciation, a sensibility and a comprehension of life that fills us with compassion, humility and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people don’t come from nowhere.”
Someone once said that Lizzie Velasquez was the ugliest woman in the world. This person taunted her and tried to destroy her and her self-esteem. However, Lizzie is one of the biggest and best examples of beauty in the world.
Lizzie’s life hasn’t been easy. Since her birth, 26 years ago, she has suffered from a rare disease. Among other particularities, her illness prevents her from accumulating fat in her body. Therefore, she needs to eat constantly. Besides having characteristic physical traits, she is blind in one eye, which has been an added difficulty in her life.
However, despite the fact that her appearance isn’t what we would call “normal,” her heart is extraordinary. When those “cyber bullies” put up her images, Lizzie felt like her world was crumbling. She broke into tears. She felt like the her life was crashing down around her, and for a while she was sure that her life was over.
It’s shocking to listen to Lizzie tell us about how people would tell her in the comments of her video that she should kill herself. Is there no limit to human cruelty?
Lizzie turned her weakness into a strength
Overcome by feelings of powerlessness, sadness and hopelessness, Lizzie realized that if she had come into this world, it was for a reason. And that reason was right in front of her. It’s useless to fight fire with fire. If there’s something harmful, you shouldn’t face it with negative feelings, because you’ll only be adding more negativity to the world.
Thus, Lizzie reestablished her goals and got to work. She needed to tell the world what was happening to her, what she had experienced up until now and how she was going to face it from now on. “Have a good cry, hold your head high, smile and move on to something positive,” she says.
Lizzie is a woman subjected to abuse, bullying and contempt, she has succeeded in turning her sorrow into glory. With her story and her words, she invites us to reflect on our own treatment of others. She affirms that her disease has been her blessing, because through it she has found the meaning to her life.
Stop looking and start learning
Lizzie has turned the tables and has shown us the key to her evolution, so that we may make it our own. Letting her problems guide her path, she has coached us so that we may take the reins of our lives. This way, she has become one of the most well-known (and experienced) motivational speakers in the world.
Her ability to transmit her message is such that by just listening to her words, you become overcome by magic, the strength to eliminate your barriers and stop setting physical and emotional limits for yourself. Because everything is possible, as long as we eliminate our problems one by one by sheer willpower.
Changing our life and our perception of reality requires guidelines and a certain script to follow. Therefore, Lizzie shares with us some of her lessons in order for us to be able to guide our lives:
- Look for your purpose, constantly, until you find it. She urges us to never stop dreaming. Don’t be afraid to have dreams and seek out your objectives. Once you have, live them to the fullest and once again look for new purposes. Everything happens for a reason.
- Observe and learn. Analyze your values, confront your barriers or resistances, whatever is keeping you from following your dreams. The struggles in your life are necessary for your personal growth. For Lizzie, her achievements are “the best revenge”.
- Maintain a healthy image of yourself. Your value is greater than the one the rest of the world gives you or thinks about you.
- Constantly reevaluate the commitment you have to your goals. Trust is fragile. One single moment is enough to destroy what it has taken you years to achieve. Always take care of trust. Think twice before you break it.
- All life has value. Everyone, absolutely everyone, regardless of the point in their life that they find themselves in, has to be aware that their actions have incalculable consequences in the lives of others. We have to act according to these principles.
- Don’t turn your back on change. Adore it, love it, actively seek it. Change is that unreachable finish line. It’s what’s going to allow us to constantly rebuild our self-limiting beliefs. Change is going to show us our limits and beyond.
- Always keep learning about yourself and your surroundings. What you have done in the past has helped you get to where you are now. But, to keep moving forward, you might need to break some of your old habits.
- Be grateful and choose to be happy. Whatever happens, appreciate each day, gesture and opportunity. Live your life, because you only have one.
Up next we invite you to see this exciting video in which Lizzie tells us her story: