7 Keys to Team Management
Team management is a task that requires special sensitivity, which comes from knowledge and experience. In fact, team management is essential for a group to work cohesively. Additionally, it’s vital for the product of their effort to be greater than each member’s individuality.
Moreover, learning the keys to team management helps to achieve many different goals. We’re talking about a skill that many companies demand of the positions with the most responsibility, where many challenges are related to human circumstances.
Team management requires sensitivity, knowledge, and experience. Let’s delve deeper into this subject.
Team management in the era of knowledge and communication
Undoubtedly, we live in an era of knowledge and communication. What does this mean, though? Well, it means that the world is changing at great speed. For this reason, people, either individually or in teams, must now implement changes or transformations in order to survive in any environment. There’s less time for reflection now, as the environment itself demands quick responses.
On the other hand, whether in group dynamics or in another field, it’s possible to observe that knowledge acquires value. And not only that, but knowledge generates more knowledge when applied correctly. Thus, researchers discovered that a lot of a team’s power lies in how it organizes itself.
The students from the most prestigious business schools in Spain, the EAE Business School, have something to say about this. According to them, team management has everything to do with individuality. Basically, each team member makes a company get closer to its goals (within a framework of joint responsibility).
It may seem strange, but it really isn’t. Each individual contribution gives character to the team, which is very important in a company. As a result, the company’s goals will be met and the group environment will be comfortable.
How to manage a team appropriately
Firstly, managing an effective work team depends on the involvement of those who have a higher level of responsibility. This part can be determined by variables other than knowledge and experience, such as charisma. On the other hand, it’s true that a team can end up carrying out projects without good management of resources. However, it undoubtedly would be much more difficult.
For this reason, the team leader is instrumental. Their knowledge of the sector, their experience, and their preparation will be key in the development of tasks and fulfillment of goals. For one, they must carry out their work in an effective way. In order to do this, they must know how to prioritize.
In addition to this, they play another fundamental role; getting the whole team to fully commit to the project. If each member is motivated and agrees with the goals, it’ll be easier to achieve them. In order to do this, it’s important to take a series of keys into account.
Keys to team management
At this point, we’ll be taking the prestigious EAE Business School as a reference. Every team will be more successful in achieving goals if they know how to implement these team management tools:
- Keep a clear vision. Knowing how to transmit the company’s vision and mission improves or maintains motivation. This also helps as a guide so that no one loses sight of what’s important.
- Accept values. It’s easier to maintain a good work environment when there’s mutual understanding. For this, it’s necessary to know and accept the values of both the company and the individuals involved in the team.
- Maintain good communication. At the end of the day, the team should suggest changes. The work team will be the one to provide valuable information on what type of management it needs.
- Know the team’s strengths. Learning the strengths of each group member is vital. Basically, knowing this is necessary for the manager to place each person where they can benefit the group most.
- Recognize each other. Both individual and collective efforts and successes of the group must be appreciated and recognized. In this way, the job ends up being more than just a monetary incentive. This, of course, positively impacts each team member.
- Make a careful selection. The correct selection of personnel is vital. Remember that every single person on the team adds value and contributes to the achievement of goals.
- Keep personal development in mind. In order to optimize efficiency, it’s essential to promote each member’s personal development.
These are just some of the keys that identify managers who have successfully led teams. In this sense, bear in mind that each group is different and that the strategy that may work in a team may not work in another. This is why it’s so important to do an assessment before applying any corrective measures.
Now, we’ve described seven important keys. However, we’ve yet to identify the one that makes them work properly: attitude and commitment. If you want your team to be responsible, and creative, hardworking, then the members must have a positive attitude and stay committed to the team’s goals.It might interest you...