The Power of Imagination
A fertile imagination is the source of all creative thinking, which is even more important than knowledge. It’s one of the main reasons why most people don’t succeed– they haven’t learned to use their creative potential.
Imagination in children
We are all born with a very active imagination. As children, we live in a fantasy world for a few years.
This is a normal developmental, but when the powers of higher reasoning begin to quickly mature, the child progresses to a world of realism.
Many young people stop using their imagination almost entirely during this stage of their lives, and others make use of it in a constructive manner.
This is where parents play a very important role, because they can give their child a creative outlet for their imagination, or suppress and inhibit the child’s imagination.
In reality, every human being is capable of imagining. This capacity could be suppressed, distorted or inactive, but it’s there, and it’s more powerful than willpower.
When there’s a conflict between the two – imagination and willpower – imagination always wins.
How to imagine your future
The mind’s ability to turn imagination into reality is truly very powerful. If you want to have a creative mind, just follow these steps:
- Describe or draw your desired image, seeing yourself successfully, as you’d like.
- Breathe deeply and relax. This way you’ll be more responsive and able to create a more detailed picture, since what you imagine must be as close to the real experience as possible. Pay special attention to the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and any other details of the scene.
- Imagine your desired results. Imagine that they’re really happening, and imagine yourself in the present tense with phrases like “I am,” and forget the “I hope” or “I’ll try.”
- Create positive emotions such as joy, happiness and relaxation in the scene or vibe of the situation, and smile while you’re imagining.
- Spend five minutes mentally visualizing the image you want realized, a minimum of twice per week. Try it first thing in the morning before getting out of bed, and again at night just before bedtime. Free yourself of tensions, and imagine yourself in a calm and relaxed place.