Happiness Consists of Small Bits of Joy
Perhaps we all know what happiness is, but defining it takes work. What is happiness? What is it made up of? Are we constantly invaded by it or is it made up of small pieces that touch our soul when we least expect it and when we provoke it? Why, instead of feeling sorry for ourselves by saying we’re not happy, don’t we create our own happiness?
And perhaps happiness is not a circumstance but rather an attitude. Maybe it doesn’t depend as much on money and the material things we have, whether we do better or worse at work, or if we have more or less money. Maybe it depends on simple things like enjoying a sunny day in the company of your friends, going for a walk while holding hands with your grandchild or your child, or eating a good chocolate brownie. What do you think?
“Happiness is inside, not outside; therefore, it does not depend on what we have, but what we are.”
-Henry Van Dyke-
What is happiness?
Obviously everyone has their own idea about what happiness is. But sometimes when life tests us, we realize that many of the pieces we thought were part of the puzzle really aren’t.
We realize the pieces to happiness aren’t material things, or feeling like we are the best looking at the party, etc. Now being able to see the sun every day or smelling the scent of flowers has acquired a new dimension…
“My happiness is that I appreciate what I have and I do not want more than what I have.”
Small moments of joy
Each of us probably has our own list and together we could make one huge one, but in the meantime do you agree with these statements about happiness, which life gives us in small but delicious portions?
- Waking up at midnight and looking at the clock to see there are still five hours until you have to get up. And there is no greater pleasure than being able to enjoy a dream. Dreams bring well-being to our body and mind.
- Eating a brownie while being kissed on the cheek. Chocolate and kisses… What could be better than that? Pure endorphins.
- Feeling the embrace of that little child you love so much. Children have an infinite capacity to make us feel loved and therefore happy. Feel the embrace of that child who you love so much and always keep that moment forever in your heart.
- Watch your favorite movie with candy, chocolates and popcorn. Movies distract us, we evade our reality which is sometimes ugly. When you’re in one of those moments, put on a movie. A simple way to have a little bit of happiness.
- Nonstop laughter from a joke. Laughing is so healthy! Laugh out loud, you’ll see how happiness fills you up and your immune system improves! Laughter is a good ally of happiness and therefore of health.
- Doing what you love most without being in a hurry or stressed: cooking, going for walk, cycling or skating. Why do we have to be stressed even during moments of relaxation?
- Feeling a heartfelt hug. Is there anything healthier, more honest and that fills us with greater happiness than a simple hug? Hugs are a great source of transmitting emotions and pleasurable sensations.
- Listening to your favorite music blasting. Music is a great remedy for the soul. It is shown that music can arouse the endorphins of happiness. Enjoy the music.
- Spending time with friends. Being around others as long as they are people who are positive and good for us helps us to endure hard times.
The moral of the story…Don’t you think that happiness is much closer to you than you thought? Whatever you propose is enough. Look and enjoy those little moments that make you feel so good… Learn to be happy!