24 Quotes Reminding Us to Be Emotionally Independent
We all must develop self-love in order to prevent our happiness from depending on others. The only love that can prevail is love for ourselves. We have to keep a tight grip on our insecurities, stopping them from enslaving us, choosing to be our own masters and running our own lives.
Love and dependency are at odds with one another; if they coexist, they destroy one another. When this happens, even if the couple’s relationship remains intact, their love is obscured and gives in to dependency.
We have to change need into preference, which is much healthier. We can love and even adore our partner, but at the same time, we must maintain high self-esteem and continue cultivating our personal development.
It is complicated to understand and process, but we must not confuse love with infatuation. In love, there is no anguish nor butterflies nor total surrender. Love is not drowning, it is not subjugation, it is not sacrifice.
Love is peaceful and not obsessive. Love is moderated. Love is reason, desire, friendship, care, and balance. In love, there is no fear. Below are 24 quotes that remind us of the importance of protecting our emotional independence:
- There is no love fully capable of filling the void in a person who does not love himself
- “I don’t need you, I prefer you.” – Walter Riso
- “If you can’t love me like I deserve, leave. Someone will come who can enjoy who I am.” – Walter Riso
- “I love you because I love you, because I have chosen you and I like being around you, because you are essential to my happiness.” – Walter Riso
- I will no longer be a slave to my emotional past; instead, I will live my present with emotion.
- “They made us believe that each one of us is the half of an orange and that life only makes sense when you find that other half. They did not tell us that we were born as a whole and that no one in our lives deserves to carry on his back such responsibility of completing what is missing on us.” – John Lennon
- “They made us believe in a formula ‘two in one:’ two people sharing the same line of thinking, same ideas, and that it is what works. It’s never been told that it has another name: invalidation. Only two individuals with their own personality is how you can have a healthy relationship.” – John Lennon
- You don’t have to prove anything to others, but only to yourself.
- Love is freedom and growth before possession and limitations.
- To love someone else, I must first love myself.
- Love does not exist, but rather the proof of love, and the proof of love to those we care for is letting them live freely.
- I will love you keeping in mind that it is we who invent and reinvent the love that we live.
- You can’t depend on anyone else to be happy; no relationship will give you the inner peace that you haven’t created.
- Don’t depend too much on anyone in this world, because even your shadow abandons you in the dark.
- “If you only enjoy showing love, you need to check your self-esteem.” – Walter Riso
- As I began to love myself I understood that in any circumstance, I am in the right place at the right time, and everything happens at the exactly right moment. So I could be calm. Today I call it “self-confidence.”
- As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health – food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Today I know it is “love of oneself.”
- “Depending on a person who loves himself is a way to bury yourself alive, an act of psychological self-mutilation where self-love, self-respect, and the essence of oneself are offended and given away irrationally.” -Walter Riso
- If you can’t see what you’re worthy, you are more likely to be with someone else who can’t see it.
- “When you discover that you can be your greatest fan, you abandon the habit of begging for approval from others.” – Rafael Vidac
- Going through life, I understood that the most important thing is not knowing what you have; it’s knowing what you’re worth.
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” – Oscar Wilde
- One can choose between being a happy and optimistic person or being a sad and negative person. Nobody is responsible for making another happy. The choice depends on oneself.
- “Because no one can know for you. No one can grow for you. No one can search for you. Nobody can do for you what you should do yourself. Existence does not support representatives.” – Jorge Bucay
We hope you have liked them!