11 Signs You're Experiencing a Spiritual Awakening
In surroundings dominated by consumerism, egocentrism, and posing, it may seem absurd to talk about “spiritual awakenings.” However, there are more and more people who are running across this. Many of them resist it, however, experiencing a spiritual awakening does not make you different; it makes you special. And you are not alone.
Many things are changing in the world. We live in a time of awakening and of wanting to change. A large number of people are becoming more aware that problems and certain practices that have lasted too long need to change.
“The secret of human freedom is to act well, without attachment to the results.”
There are many people who want to take their lives into their own hands and escape the model imposed on them by society with the goal of really knowing happiness and living the life that they really want to live, and not the one dictated by television, magazines, movies, social identification, and all of those senseless clichés that surround us.
Awareness of the great human and social problems that we are facing is more and more serious. There are ever more people who are willing to listen to those truths and who are not brave enough to carry out change in themselves and their families because they know that the change the world needs goes along its own path.
The people who experience this social awakening see that their awareness is growing, that their interests are evolving, that the meaning of life is changing for them, and that they have new aspirations and inspirations. This is all accompanied by the desire to change themselves as a first step to changing the world.
“Great men are they who see that spiritual is stronger than any material force, that thoughts rule the world”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Do you recognize yourself in what I am saying? Have these words awakened a small fire within you? If you have made it this far, be brave and keep reading.
Signs of a spiritual awakening
The following are clear signs that you are experiencing a spiritual awakening. If you are aware that some of this is happening to you or you feel that you somehow identify with this, do not be afraid.
- You want fewer things and are looking for more simplicity in your life. You have realized that the less you have, the more relieved you feel. You want to acquire fewer material goods in favor of seeking inner wealth.
- You are attracted to books that open your mind. The books that simply entertain you interest you less and less and instead, you want the ones that help you become the best version of yourself.
- You have a deep desire for meaning. Understanding that a “normal” life is devoid of all meaning and purpose, which is why you are trying to create your own path.
- You expose your true self to the world. You have left behind the social mask that you were wearing to “do the right thing” and now you are open to communicating your most intimate thoughts and feelings with others without feeling guilty or ashamed.
- You are spending more and more time alone and in silence. You enjoy spending time in silence and going on walks by yourself in nature with the goal of reconnecting and coming to peace with yourself. You need less and less noise around you to be content. You do not feel alone when there is silence and tranquility around you.
- You feel more connected to nature and living beings. You recognize the interconnection and interdependence of all living creatures and you have a sensation of unity with everyone and everything.
- You eat healthier and take better care of your body and mind. You are more and more concerned with what you eat, not just about the food itself, but about where it comes from, the way it was produced, and the environmental impact that it implies. Moreover, you have acquired life habits that are healthier for your body, not for esthetic reasons, but because you feel like your body is a temple for your spirit, which you also protect and care for.
- You take the responsibility for your destiny into your own hands and you are aware of your actions. You have realized that there is no reason to have the mentality of a victim and to blame others for what is not going right in your life, which is making you act consciously to give shape to your destiny. You have discovered the great power that your actions have and you act in such a way that they will not affect you or others negatively.
- The past and the future do not control your life. You understand that what is really important is the present, that the past had its moment, and that the future is something that does not yet exist. You live in the here and now without letting the past govern your actions and building the future from the real present.
- You have lost interest in competition. You have realized that competition leads to conflicts and suffering, and that the only way to live in harmony with others is to have a loving attitude and compassion for everyone.
- You have discovered that you are in the world to light others’ candles, not to put them out. Being a source of light fills you much more than impressing others. Lighting the way for others gives meaning to your existence.
“For a seed to achieve its greatest expression, it must come completely undone. The shell cracks, its insides come out and everything changes. To someone who doesn’t understand growth, it would look like complete destruction.”